Application Guide

Working Holiday Visa

Let Native file your application for you.

Get Started

What is the Working Holiday Visa?

Also referred to as the "Youth Mobility Program", the Working Holiday Visa is a bi-lateral agreement between Germany and various other countries (listed here) which allows foreign nationals to move, live and work in Germany. The biggest differentiator over other visa types is that it does not require a sponsored job lined up prior to your arrival in Germany. It's a great way to travel and experience a different culture while earning money to support your time abroad.

You are eligible for the Working Holiday Visa if:

  • You hold citizenship from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada or New Zealand.
  • You are between the ages of 18 and 35 years old. (up to 35 for Canadians)
  • You have a residence in Berlin. (This is only applicable if you are applying from within Germany.
  • You are not accompanied by defendents (ex. children)

Required Documents

  • Valid Passport
    Identity card, passport, children's passport for German nationals, national passport or passport replacement papers are accepted for foreign nationals.
  • One biometric photo
    One 35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background. See example here.
  • Foreign Travelers' health insurance
    You'll need an approved provider for health insurance for a minimum of one year from the start of your visa date. Don't have health insurance? Get covered here.
  • Proof of funds
    This must be in a bank account in the amount of at least €2,000.00 EUR. You can use bank statements as your document proof.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin. (if applying from within Germany)
    If you are applying from within Germany, you'll need to have a registered address in your name. If you haven't yet done so, you can fill out the Anmeldung form here.
  • Application form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels"
    You'll need to have filled this out correctly. You can fill out the form online in minutes here.


  • €56.00 - €100.00 EUR (Depending on technical effort)
  • Free of charge for Japanese citizens

The Process

  • Schedule an appointment at the Office of Immigration (Landesamt für Einwanderung).
    You need to get an appointment for "Aufenthaltserlaubnis für die Teilnahme am Working-Holiday" (Germany for Working Holiday Visa). Schedule an appointment here.
  • Gather the required documents.
    Before you go to your appointment, you must gather all the required documents which you can see here.
  • Fill out the application form.
    Use the Native Form here to fill out your Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) form and print it out with all your other documents.
  • Go to your appointment.
    Go to the Landesamt für Einwanderung listed on your confirmation letter on the date of your appointment with all your documents neatly organized. If you can, bring a German speaking friend. You may get lucky and have an employee who speaks your language, but this is never guaranteed.


A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible take place by appointment.

Average time to process request
The residence permit will generally be issued on the same day.

Other Helpful Resources

Below is a list of resources that will help further explain the Working Holiday Visa process. We have no affiliation with any of the below resources and provide them solely as a benefit to you.