Application Guide

Language Course Visa

Let Native file your application for you.

Get Started

What is the residence permit for attending a language course?

The language study visa covers those who are planning to attend a language course that is not for the purpose of studying. This visa can be issued for a maximum of one year.

You are eligible for the Language Study Visa if:

  • You are registered for participation in an intensive German language course.
  • The duration of the language course is limited, and generally comprises of daily lessons.
  • The language course is a minimum of 18 lesson-hours per week.
  • It is not a night and weekend course.

Required Documents

  • Valid Passport
    Identity card, passport, children's passport for German nationals, national passport or passport replacement papers are accepted for foreign nationals.
  • 1 current biometric photo
    One 35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background. See example here.
  • Application form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels"
    You'll need to have filled this out correctly. You can fill out the form online in minutes here.
  • Proof of intensive language course
    You'll need certification of the language school over a booked language course of at least 3 months, as well as the contract with the language school.
  • Heal Insurance (insurance card)
    Any statutory health insurance will do. Travellers’ health insurance will also suffice for the duration of the language course. Don't have health insurance? Get covered here.
  • Proof of secure livelihood
    There are three options to prove this. You'll need one of the following:
    1. A blocked account (Sperrkonto) at a German Bank with more than 10,932 EUR. Don't have a blocked account? Get one in minutes here.
    2. Submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form (Verpflichtungserklärung).
    3. Notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the studies with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin. (if applying from within Germany)
    If you are applying from within Germany, you'll need to have a registered address in your name. If you haven't yet done so, you can fill out the Anmeldung form here.


  • €100.00 EUR
  • For Turkish citizens the fee is a maximum of 28.80 euros.

The Process

  • Schedule an appointment at the Office of Immigration (Landesamt für Einwanderung).
    You need to contact the Landesamt to schedule an appointment. You can do so here.
  • Gather the required documents.
    Before you go to your appointment, you must gather all the required documents listed above.
  • Fill out the application form.
    Use the Native form here to fill out your Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) form and print it out with all your other documents.
  • Go to your appointment.
    Go to the Landesamt für Einwanderung listed on your confirmation letter on the date of your appointment with all your documents neatly organized. If you can, bring a German speaking friend. You may get lucky and have an employee who speaks your language, but this is never guaranteed.


A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible take place by appointment.

Average time to process request
Around 5–6 weeks. A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.

Other Helpful Resources

Below is a list of resources that will help further explain the Working Holiday Visa process. We have no affiliation with any of the below resources and provide them solely as a benefit to you.