Application Guide

Anmeldung Form

Fill out the form.

Get Started

What is the "Anmeldung"?

The Anmeldung is the first thing you do when you move to a new residence. According to the law, if you plan to stay at a residence for longer than six months, you need to register with the authorities, which you must do within 14 days of moving in. You can register at one of over 40 Berlin citizens' offices (called the Bürgeramt). See the full list and find the one closest to you here.

You need to do the Anmeldung if:

  • You have moved to a new apartment within the city
  • You have moved to Berlin from another community in Germany
  • You moved to Berlin from abroad.

After register your address at the Bürgeramt, you will receive a certificate of registration called the "Meldebescheinigung", and a Tax ID, also referred to as the "Steueridentifikationsnummer" (often referred to as the Str. Nr). You can read more about that document here. This certificate will be required for you to do things like open a bank account or get health insurance. Any potential employer will also need this to be able to pay you correctly.

Required Documents

  • Proof of identity
    Identity card, passport, children's passport for German nationals or national passport or passport replacement papers for foreign nationals. Please bring all mentioned and available documents for all moving people with you.
  • Supplementary sheet for registration (for several apartments)
    Only if you do not give up your previous apartment in Germany and also want to register the new apartment, must an apartment be determined as the main apartment for you and any family members who are moving with you.
  • Registration Form
    People in a family who move from the previous apartment to the new apartment together can use a registration form. If there are more than 2 people to register, please use two registration forms. You can fill out your registration form here.
  • Civil status certificate (only for German citizens)
    It is only useful for your first registration in Berlin if you bring and present a civil status certificate for registration (e.g. marriage certificate, birth certificate).
  • If applicable, the declaration of consent of the absent custodian and his passport or ID card.
    A model for the declaration of consent of the custodian is available under "Forms".

The Process

  • Schedule an appointment at the Bürgeramt.
    You need to get an appointment for "Anmeldung einer Wohnung" at the Bürgeramt. You can go to any Bürgeramt in your city, not just the one in your neighborhood! Find an office and book an appointment online here.
  • Gather the required documents.
    Before you go to your appointment, you must gather all the required documents which you can see here. We've also created the easiest and fastest way to fill out your Anmeldung form online, here.
  • Fill out the application form.
    Use the Native Form here to fill out your Anmeldung in seconds! Download your form and print it out with all your other documents.
  • Go to your Bürgeramt appointment.
    Go to the Bürgeramt listed on your confirmation letter on the date of your appointment with all your documents neatly organized. If you can, bring a German speaking friend. You may get lucky and have an employee who speaks your language, but this is never guaranteed.

Other Helpful Resources

Below is a list of resources that will help you better understand how to get setup with your anmeldung. We have no affiliation with any of the below resources and provide them solely as a benefit to you.


A written registration is not possible.
Moving a minor child.
in the future both custodians will no longer have a shared apartment with the child or the sole apartment or main apartment of the child will change from one custodian to another, the custodian must give a declaration of consent. A template for the explanation can be found in the "Forms" section.

Additional Downloads

Below is the originally formatted documents you will find online from the Berlin city portal for download.

Fill out the Form

Fill out the form in english and your answers will be placed into the original German formatted document for you to download. Your data is completley confidential, we don't send, share or save your information.. ever.